Cast iron radiator MS 140 specifications
People of the older generation remembers that during the period of mass housing in the 60 - 70s of the last century in the new houses everywhere were established exclusively cast iron radiators. And many of these batteries, already having served for half a century, and even more, it is quite cope with their task today. Interestingly, when attempts were made to transfer the mass of the building industry in the steel plate or panel radiators, it was perceived by the public without much enthusiasm. The owners of new apartments, wintered with such "innovations", ruthlessly cut them and sought to establish a "good old" iron. There were times when it caused even high demand, cast-iron battery fell in the category of commodities in short supply, and finding them was not easy.
Cast iron radiator MS 140 specifications
What is the cast-iron batteries have won such a high trust? The secret lies in their inherent operational potential. Let's take a closer look at a battery, or as it is called correctly - cast iron radiator MS 140 specifications, variety, advantages and disadvantages, the basic rules of installation. In addition, try to independently calculate how many sections required for the battery to make it fully coped with the task of heating a specific room.
The main advantages and disadvantages MS-140 cast iron radiators
If you go to a specialist shop building, we can see for themselves in a very wide range of modern radiators. Buyer discount steel radiators of various modifications - from the panel to the tubular light aluminum with very high heat dissipation, the most technologically advanced and reliable bimetal. Almost all of them have a very original design, which easily fit into the interior living room.
A variety of modern radiators
Not to be confused with choice of radiators for your apartment or home, be sure to familiarize readers with the information contained in a special publication of our portal.
So why are many consumers who reject all new developments and continue to stop the choice on cast iron radiators?
- The undoubted advantage of cast iron batteries is their highest durability and reliability. Manufacturers estimate their service life of around 50 years. This - is not an exaggeration, as the practice shows that such heaters with proper care are much greater.
A striking example of this - record-battery installed in one of the Royal Village palace complexes. She regularly serves more than 110 years, and has not yet given any reason to doubt its reliability and carry out any replacements. But this - officially confirmed by the fact, but in reality, I think, in the homes of old housing stock can be found radiators and with a solid experience.
By the way, not everyone knows that the history of cast-iron battery, roughly the same as extant form, dates back to the middle of the XIX century, and in Russia. They were first cast in St. Petersburg back in 1855. "Father" cast iron radiator is considered to be a Russian businessman Franz San Galli, owner of the plant and at the same time - the talented inventor in the field of water supply and heating. The first batteries were interesting name - "hot box» (heizkörper). And their casting technology, in principle, has not changed to this day - it uses gray cast iron and special-shaped earthenware flask.
&# 171; Father&# 187; Cast iron radiators Franz San Galli and the monument in honor of the 150th anniversary of this instrument
To finish with a historical digression, we can mention another eloquent fact. Many there are monuments to human subjects of life? But the cast-iron radiator has earned such an honor! In the century and a half mark the anniversary, in 2005, at the Samara state district power station is a monument - a bas-relief. Is this not evidence of the highest reliability of cast iron radiator and its undeniable popularity?
- Unpretentiousness cast iron radiators to any heating system - one of its major advantages. And it is composed of several parameters:
&# 8212; Firstly, it is able to withstand very severe loads baric - for them it is considered acceptable pressure limit of 10 ÷ 12 atmospheres.
&# 8212; Secondly, the temperature range of operation - up to 130 degrees, allowing their use in the central systems with high pressure and coolant temperature.
&# 8212; Third, the cast-iron batteries have a wide section of the inner cavities and channels. This minimum risk of clogging, and high resistance to frequent in central heating systems waterhammer.
&# 8212; Fourthly, iron castings virtually immune to corrosion. This means that the radiators are absolutely not "capricious" in relation to the quality of the coolant. It is no secret that circulates through the pipes of central heating systems, the water is very far from purity, and her hostile environment for many other batteries simply is contraindicated. But not for the pig-iron.
Summary - iron batteries are suitable for any of the central and autonomous heating systems without limitation.
- The high specific heat of cast iron allows longer retain heat efficiently heat the room. Moreover, such a battery is the maximum extent possess the ability, in addition to the convective heating air, to give even heat and infrared radiation, which is very significant help of the entire heating system. Remember the "bursting fervor" iron battery - even at a distance from them there is warmth. No other heat sink with them can not be compared in this respect.
- MS-140 Cast batteries are collapsible design. This allows the space required for a particular number of sections, modify it as needed, to conduct emergency replacement node.
Cast iron radiator can be disassembled for replacement of a section or for maintenance work
- The price of these cast iron radiators - quite accessible. Often hosts for reasons of economy acquired even Used batteries, which, after washing and correct bulkheads serve for a long time.
Some of the advantages are a kind of "double-edged sword '. For example, the wide channels - on the one hand, the good, but to fill them will require a lot more fluid. A high heat capacity iron predetermines the very substantial thermal inertia radiators. To bring them to working condition will require a lot more energy, ie the boiler at startup will work harder, almost without a pause. However, this is compensated for during operation - iron batteries are longer remain hot even after switching off the heating.
After it may seem from the above that cast iron radiators is almost devoid of serious shortcomings. However, this is not the case - there are also very significant "cons":
- With all the positive qualities of cast iron, it is non-plastic, hard and brittle alloy. He does not like accented mechanical loads - can just crack. The lack of plasticity - it is also a great risk of damage due to sudden temperature changes, the crystal lattice "has no time" for linear thermal expansion. For example, if heated to a high moderator battery suddenly gets cold water, that section can give a crack walls. Similarly - and at low temperatures: if the battery is frozen, then with a very high probability it will fail.
Freeze for cast iron radiators often becomes fatal
- The second major drawback - the excessive massiveness. Even one section (from center distance of 500 mm) are not filled with the coolant, depending on the specific model can weigh 6 ÷ 7,5 kilograms. Plus the mass of the connecting nipples and caps. As a result, the average battery, for example, only seven sections, can provide load already about 50 kilograms. And if you add the coolant mass (as in each section it - even 1.45 kg), the total weight of the already jumps in 60 kg. And because it is a conversation about a relatively small battery! What then to speak about the assembly of 10 or more sections.
Brackets or abutments for installation of heavy cast iron radiators
This feature greatly complicates the installation work - alone, without an assistant, to meet them sometimes becomes a daunting task. In addition, we need strong arms or hooks. And one more thing - not every wall structure is able to withstand such loads.
Several embodiments suspension MS-140 cast iron radiators
I come up with quite complicated structures, with emphasis in the surface of the floor or even with the gain from the back side wall.
However, some models of cast iron radiators may be equipped with legs, supports, or be directly calculated for installation on the floor - in this case legs become part of the structure (e.g., on the outer sections of the battery).
Cast iron radiator, equipped with a stand-legs
- Most plants coming from the radiator is only the primer layer. So, to make maximum aesthetic batteries have to carry out their own painting, but it is not as easy as it might seem.
Typically, MS-140 radiators come from plants only in a primed
In addition, similar to repainting would have to be carried out regularly, at least once every 3 - 5 years.
Some manufacturers supply the battery with an external decorative painting
It is fair to say that some manufacturers still go towards the consumers, and their products are available for sale after the cycle multilayer staining resistant polymer paint or powder decorative coating. It is clear that such radiators are already significantly more expensive.
- The disadvantage is akin to the above - often criticized for cast iron radiators unsightly, as they say, "barracks" appearance.
Honestly, this question is very subjective, that is, lies in the plane of personal preference. Steel panel radiators also can not shine beauty, and who does not like too much the modern look of bimetallic battery, which can be difficult to fit in some interior styles.
In the end, no one bothers to cover radiators decorative screen (of course, so as not to impair the efficiency of the heating system).
How to close the grille
Installing decorative screen, boxes, grates help to cope with the problem of unaesthetic kind of radiators. How to select the grille for the radiator, not to reduce the efficiency of the heating system at home - read in a separate publication from our website.
And some manufacturers and practiced casting sections with a decorative performance - on the walls of the radiator obtained original embossed patterns "antique".
Very nice model with a relief pattern
Main technical characteristics of MS-140 cast iron radiators
Now - about the specific technical characteristics of the various models of cast iron radiators MS-140 Series
What does she abbreviation "MC" - in this respect, by the way, there is no consensus. There are versions of "modified standard", "Moscow Standard", "metal sectional", "mounting sectional" and other options.
And "140" - is quite definite value, specifying the depth (distance from the rear to the front side) of each section - 140 mm. Typically, this is accompanied by the name and the second numerical value.
- For example, the abbreviation MS-140&# 8212; 500 indicates that it is cast iron radiators with the depths of 140 mm and a center distance of 500 mm.
This is - the most common series, which was used for installation in high-rise apartments with their large-scale construction. The average heat capacity of such a section is about 160 watts.
MS-140 radiators may have different spacing: &# 8212; 500 or 300 mm
- But this series is also a MC-140 radiators&# 8212; 300. As understood from the classification name, they are different center distance - 300 mm only. Battery still were not as commonly used, but in some cases (for example, the low position of window sills), they were used. Of course, heat transfer area have substantially smaller, which is reflected on the characteristic of heat transfer capacity - only about 120 W from the audio section.
- Available MS-140&# 8212; 500 and another species. In these two vertical channel sections are connected outside the diagonally arranged ribs. This ribbing greatly increases the active heat transfer area, and sections power increases to 190 watts.
MS-140 with an internal radiator fins
However, these radiators are difficult to paint and require frequent cleanings. Area dust settling on the flat surfaces of ribs - large, strong and their dusty when talking about 190 W from the section is not necessary - the loss can be on the order of 30 ÷ 40 watts.
So, it was discussed in detail iron radiator MS-140. Despite more than its age and model as someone seems unprepossessing appearance, there is no doubt that such heaters not soon leave the apartments and houses, will serve more than one generation.